Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Smile Bags

There are more ways to help with Operation Smile other than donating money.  You can donate your time and skills as a seamstress too!  I taught myself how to sew years ago and have always enjoyed making things so finding out about all the items they need volunteers to sew made this organization even more perfect for me!

This weekend at a family reunion, I brought our sewing machines and taught my daughter how to sew Smile Bags which Operation Smile gives to each child after their operation. They are filled with these items:

  • small shampoo (.85 to 1.4 oz size, screw-on top only)
  • small comb (no rat tails)
  • new wash cloth
  • bar of soap (small hotel size) 
  • sample size toothpaste (check expiration date - not expired)
  • child size toothbrush (single package)
  • small stuffed animal (Beanie Baby® size)
  • 8 pack box of coloring crayons
  • thin 8.5” x 11” coloring book
  • small square mirror (approximate size 3”x 3”)

(I also have an idea for something else they can add to the bags that I am so excited about but will save that for later.)


Every day since we have been back from the reunion my daughter asks if we can sew more bags.  I love how this is creating a love for serving others in her.  She is only 9 years old and already finds joy in the idea of making something that helps other children.  It makes me realize how well this organization fits with my life as a mother since it is one my children can be involved in too.


More sewing projects to come soon like Smile dolls, hosptial gowns, No-no Arm Bands and blankets.

1 comment:

  1. It is fulfilling to help others especially when it is something that can be taught at home. The skill you share with her at such a young, tender age will not only bless her life but many others. It will spark a flame in her to want to serve others. Isn't this so much better than a day of play or watching television by teaching a child to unselfishly share and enjoy what they can accomplish to benefit someone in need? "...and a child shall lead them."

    ReplyDelete